1. CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN/ACTIVITY BASED ADVENT
I tried to plan a fun activity each day to help us experience the joy of Christmas all month long, amidst the craziness of the season. I had big plans to make an advent calendar to help us keep track of it all, but that will be a project for next year. We didn't do everything I set out to do, but we got many of our activities in. Some of the things we DID do...
1. watched christmas movies with hot chocolate and popcorn on hand.
2. drove around to see all the lights- one of the girls favorite activities.
3. jumped on the trampoline that DayDay put together for us.
4. read a Christmas book each night.
5. made toffee bars (had big plans to make a lot of other treats, but it just didn't happen- I had to let myself be ok with that).
6. make gifts. (we sewed...the girls opened their new Christmas pajamas and robes on Christmas eve that my mom and I made- the pants were the first thing I have ever made from pattern to completion on my own... super, super easy, but thrilling just the same :) The girls loved them and they looked so darn cute in them, if I do say so myself! ).
7. went to Red Hot Pottery and painted Christmas gifts for PaPa Lar and Poppi.
8. sang along to Christmas music.
9. visited a Christmas wonderland (aka Disneyland).
10. read the Christmas story in the scriptures.
11. played the Wii together as a family.
12. had a fun Christmas family home evening with friends.




I REALLY love this idea and hope to expand and execute it more effectively next year.
2. WANT/NEED/WEAR/READ:
{image}In years past, the girls would have so many gifts to open that it was a little overwhelming for them. I have been wanting to find a meaningful way to streamline gifts for a while, so when I came across this idea on several different blogs I decided to try it. Each child received PJs to open on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning, they each had 1 gift from Santa, and then 4 gifts from mom and dad that fit into the WANT/NEED/WEAR/READ categories (plus lots of other presents from grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc...). Paul and I followed the the same format for each other also. Santa did manage to sneak in a few extra things into stockings- outside of the plan (such as DVDs and Wii games).
The system worked well for us. Shopping was simplified, our budget remained intact - mostly because I didn't allow myself to just keep buying things because it was "just too cute" or "oh, that would be fun." If it didn't fit into one of the categories, or if a item for a category was already purchased, it didn't go in the cart. As an added bonus, we didn't spend all night Christmas Eve wrapping and in the morning we were done opening presents before the girls got burnt out. Avery was a little miffed- she is at the age where she thinks more is better, but she got over it. I am going to use this format again next year for sure. Anything to make life a little simpler!

2 comments:
Great idea! I'm going to try that one next year! I was up til midnight Christmas eve wrapping presents! Finally, I got tired and decided Santa was bringing alot more (unwrapped) this year. Thanks for the ideas. The PJs are adorable. The girls all look so cute! Jenn
I can't take credit for the gift tags. They are cute, aren't they?! I found the image and the tags for sale on etsy through this blog found here: http://dandeedesigns.blogspot.com/2009/11/listed.html I really want to get some of them for next christmas!
Post a Comment