Wednesday, April 15, 2009

are you kidding me?!

On Tuesday, in the crazy wind we have been experiencing, a tree fell on our neighbors power line. The weight of the tree pulled the power pole away from our house, snapping all of our lines OFF of our house. We had live wires on the ground in our front yard! Kind of scary!

I had JUST gotten Finley down for a nap, Avery snuggled on the couch for a rest, sat down for the first time all day when I heard the crash. I peeked outside, but didn't see anything alarming from my vantage point, but then the fire department came and evacuated us! I had to wake up Finley- the horror- and go take refuge at the neighbors house across the street.

It was taking forever for PG&E to get out there to shut the power off, so we were just stuck. The firemen wouldn't even let me, in my "condition" go back into the house to grab my keys or purse, but when Paul showed up they let him in... apparently HE is expendable?! When we got the keys, we drove the van to safety (it was getting pelted by flying shingles- we have several good sized scratches on the van to show for it!) and took Paul back to work and walked around downtown for what felt like HOURS (as I was already tired- we all were). We went to mutual at the church and then got home when it was dark... still no power. That wasn't too surprising, but I was still hoping?! We broke out candles and flashlights and all turned in early to bed.

I was dreading another day without power and interruption to our routine (and loss of what little time I have left to get ready for baby). Fortunately, PG&E worked diligently through the night and the power was on when we woke up. Hallelujah!

It is all quite humerous now, but I thought I was going to go crazy... it was just the icing on the cake after a long stressful week/string of events. It also was an eye opening experience to show us just how UNPREPARED we are. We HAVE most of the things we need for an emergency, just not all in the same place and ready to go. We really need to work on that!

No comments: