
We have gotten into a rut from living in the chaos of a remodel- in order to be at home during the day, we have had to hole up in the back bedroom a lot of times. We turn on fans, turn on the t.v., and try to block out all the noise. After a year + of this routine, things are SLOWLY starting to get back to "normal", and I have found I have created a MONSTER! Avery is completely addicted to her shows! As soon as she wakes up, she wants a show. It is the first thing she asks for when we walk in the door and the last thing she wants before she goes to bed. It has even gotten to the point that she says she is hungry, but refuses food or drink if it means she has to come to the table?! She knows how to operate every t.v. and dvd player we have- I will come in the room after telling her "no shows" and find her sitting in her chair vegging out in front of The Backyardigans that she set up all by herself (turning on the t.v., changing the tv/video input, turning on the dvd player, finding the dvd, putting it into the dvd player, pushing play- ALL BY HERSELF). She is so content sitting there, watching, laughing! I do suggest other activites- "let's read books" (which she usually loves), "lets play a game," "let's color," "let's, play dress-up, dance, help mommy cook, or have tea time," but usually her response is, "I don't wanna do that." I KNOW it is not what is best for her and I KNOW that I am the mom- she is NOT (or should not be) the boss, but sometimes it is just easier to let her be than engage in the inevitable struggle to pull her away. I use the quiet time to pick-up around the house, clean, and *gasp* blog! I really HAVE to do something. This remodel is ALMOST complete- I can no longer use it as an excuse- and I need to regain order (in all aspects of my home and family)... HELP! What do you do in your homes to limit "plug-in" play?! I need ideas!

3 comments:
hey cute girl! so, obviously i am the world's worst "return phone caller" but i have plenty of excuses...many of which need to be vented. anyway, i've been a big list maker lately, and have included some chore charts and other kiddo strcturing things. i found little hearts and cars at the craft store and they're in a little jar by the t.v. when one wants to watch a show, they have to take out one of their "shapes" and when their shapes are gone, no more shows. no questions asked. works for us, anyway. we fell slave to the summer time lazies, too!
I've got a little tv monster too! Only mine is obsessed with disney movies, we don't get any fun kid tv channels or I'm sure she'd want to watch those too. I'll be checking back for other peoples suggestions. -keely
Kai is the same way. The sad thing is, when I turn on the TV for him, I find myself more relaxed and relieved because I know he'll be out of my hair for a moment. Makes it really hard to say no. It's almost like me being on the internet, where the only cure is cold-turkey. But I can't, I just can't!
Post a Comment