Wednesday, October 21, 2009

no cost/low cost halloween decor

I love decorating for holidays... but, just as I am very particular about what I put in my house for everyday decor, I am equally as discriminating about my seasonal displays. Plus, this year there is not much extra in the budget for non-essentials like seasonal decorations. I came across a few ideas for things that I wanted to make and incorporate into my fall decorating this year and then also modified a few things that I had laying around to round it all out.... all for a very minimal cost. I am really liking out it all turned out.


The wreath on the front door is just the grapevine wreath I usually have up, but with a fall berry garland (that I already had) wrapped around it... cost $0

I got the idea for the pumpkin topiaries here. I am planning on picking up 6 craft pumpkins on clearance after halloween to make the full size ones for next year. The mini ones worked perfectly for my entry table though. Pumpkins from our garden and a few little ones from the barn (3 for $2)- total cost $2 (for 2 topiaries).

These were my interpretation of a halloween sign I saw at Tai Pan while we were up in Utah. Everything there is super inexpensive, but I still didn't feel like paying $12 for something like that. So, found a font I liked (this is "chiller"), typed it out in publisher, cut out a piece of newspaper that fit inside a 8x10 frame I already had, and ran it through my printer. Easy. cost $0

The bird was a similar idea, but the newspaper for the 10x13 frame wouldn't fit through my printer, so I printed just the silouette, cut it out, and mounted it on the newspaper. cost $0

The burlap banner was an idea I saw here (with link to tutorial). I love, love, love how it turned out and it couldn't have been easier to do. cost $3

The wreath is a christmas berry wreath that I then wrapped a fall leaf garland around it. Now it will carry me through to December. cost $0

Total cost for all of my fall/halloween decor... $5.

5 comments:

julie said...

Love all the ideas. Especially, the newspaper it is my favorite!

The Scotts said...

I love finding new ideas, and these are great! Thanks, can't wait to add to my decorations.

and peanut makes three... said...

Love it all, you are so creative. I just love your style, you have such great taste.

V and Co. said...

ha! great minds think a like i guess..cause i actually bought the "spooky" and made the boo and a creepy tree to go with it! love your version...might of been helpful to see this before i went all crazy nuts and made the image on the computer. next time i'll be smart like you.
if you want to see it i posted about it here:
http://www.vanessachristenson.com/2009/10/this-that-and-mini-tutorial.html

your pictures with kelly turned out lovely!!!

Lorne said...

great ideas, I love bargain decor tips- I spent a couple dollars at big lots this year and did so low budget decorating too. -keely