Wednesday, November 5, 2008

embarrassed of mom- ALREADY?!


So, I am STILL in my gym clothes right now. I went to the gym THIS MORNING (after a LONG absence- like 3+ months, pretty much since I found out I was pregnant and could not eat or keep anything down. I still am not quite sure what I was thinking. I am feeling a little better, but I have not regained my energy or strength. But, that is all a completely different story).


The fact that I am still in my gym clothes is apparently an embarrassment to my 3 year old daughter. To defend myself, it was just one of those days where I just went from one thing to the next without even a minute to breathe. It all started with a gym class and ended with me dragging along the rest of the day. I had no time for details like getting dressed in REAL clothes or putting on make-up. As we were walking out the door for Avery's dance class this afternoon. The following conversation ensued...

AVERY: Mom, aren't you going to get ready?

ME: I AM ready.

AVERY: But, you have been wearing those clothes ALL DAY. You need to get ready or you can't go to dance class.

ME: This is what I am wearing or else we are going to be late. Let's go... in the car... NOW.


I didn't really think much about it until later, but as I replayed that conversation in my head, I realized a very sad fact. This is only the first time (of MANY I am sure) that my daughter expressed her embarrassment of me- her mom. I get it- I think it is an innate part of the complex mother-daughter relationship, but really.... does it start at 3?!
Evidently, in our house it does! Oh, heaven help me!

2 comments:

Jenn Kirk said...

LOL, that is sad, but hilarious!

I've done the gym-clothes-all-day thing, too. Even worse, is that I'm in my immodest (by LDS standards) work out gear all day.

The Scotts said...

Oh the joys of being a mom! I use to sing in the car, until Tegan, at age 2, said "No mom, please don't." Gotta love them, no really you do :)